I’m always worried about giving our Quinley dog treats with who knows what for ingredients in them. To be honest, some of the contents in store bought treats we’ve purchased in the past that claim to be “good”, really are not.
So…if you’re as careful with your fur-baby as we are, why not learn how to make homemade dog treats yourself? These super easy and yummy goodies only have two ingredients in them.
Now that’s what I call good.
2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour from Trader Joe’s
8 ounces of pureed carrots, bananas, sweet potatoes, blueberries, etc.
* A note on the ingredients. You can use any kind of flour, oats, wheat germ or mixture based on what you and your doggy like. Also, you can use any kind of grain free flour like chickpea, quinoa flour, coconut flour, and even peanut flour if your dog has a grain allergy.
And for the flavor base, you can puree fresh ingredients or use baby food. Just make sure not to use anything with onions or garlic in it as such is toxic to dogs. And always check this list to make sure you’re not giving your pup anything that could be dangerous.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix together both ingredients to form a stiff dough. Add extra flour or water to adjust the consistency.
3. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. I used a cute dog bone cookie cutter which I purchased from Michael’s craft supply, but you can hand shape yours or use a knife or pizza cutter if you don’t have a cookie cutter.
4. Place treats about 1/2 inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Allow the treats to cool completely before serving or storing them. DO NOT store in an airtight container as the treats will get soft. Store them in a container with the lid slightly open or in a paper bag.
These treats will last a few weeks, but you can freeze some of them if you know your pup won’t eat them in time.
Prep time – 10 minutes, Cook time – 25 minutes, yields about 20 – 22 treats.
And there you have it, super easy and fun to make. Quinley, “head product tester” gives these treats two paws up!
Hope you and your pup(s) enjoy!